Life coaching is a tool that helps you see things differently and/or more clearly than the way you currently do. It enables you to recognise and assess the choices and options that are open to you, and then do something about the situations you want to change.
How does life coaching work?
- Sessions are held either in person, over the telephone or online (Skype or Zoom), in sessions running for between 30 minutes to an hour.
- Sessions are often held weekly, however they can run less frequently.
- Clients may have just one session, or work with their life coach for many months. Every case is unique, but as a rule of thumb is that major change happens between session 4 and session 8.
What happens in the session?
- What we do depend on the client, the challenges being worked on, and where we are in the process
- Sessions are relaxed, friendly and positive experiences
- Sessions are completely confidential
- Life coaches do not tell clients what to do
Professional life coaches have a raft of techniques available to them. Through listening in special ways and asking questions, coaches encourage clients to find understanding in their lives, and the answers they need
Many coaches use a branch of psychology called NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming). This provides a range of tools to help clients change their behaviour and the underlying thinking which drives it. For example, re-framing allows you to take a situation you cannot change and see it in a radically different way.
The fastest and easiest way to find out what happens in a coaching session, and see how it can help you personally, is to arrange a free 40-minute Coaching Consultation
What’s the difference between coaching and counselling?
Counselling = looking back, coaching = looking forward. If only life were that simple!
Many people attend counselling because their present life has become unbearable and they lack hope for a different future. Their desire is to resolve issues from their past so that they can see their present life and future prospects with a different perspective. Equally, many who seek coaching in an area of their lives benefit immensely from understanding how they came to this present time of difficulty and what negative baggage they may have accumulated on the way.
Thus an overlap is formed.
A skilful counsellor and coach will help a person to acknowledge the past, gain a fresh perspective on it, and then form life goals which will help them lead a more positive and fulfilled life. The starting point is always how far along that journey the client is already.
What’s the difference between a life coach and a mentor?
A mentor offers their own experience as guidance, and may or may not use a coaching style.
- Where as a coach helps clients build their own awareness, understanding and decision making.
- There are times in a coaching relationship when a mentoring style can be useful and with the client’s permission will incorporate the mentoring approach into coaching.
What kind of changes can I make?
- Here are a few examples:
- Get more of what you want
- Manage your affairs more effectively
- Make time – for self-care, for others, for excitement, achievement and adventure
- Deal with stress by tackling its root causes
- Change the way you relate to family and friends
- Improve your results and income
- Deal better with difficult situations
- Get on better with people
- Become organised and effective
- Change your career for a more rewarding one
What if I need build my self-confidence and self-belief?
You only take the actions you are happy to take, actions you’ve chosen and decided for yourself. If you’ve chosen small actions at first, that’s fine. Lao Tzu said “The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” – Your confidence grows with the actions you take and as you continue to take action you are learning what works for you.
To help you on your journey we work through my 3 step Unlock Your Potential System:
Henry Ford famously said: “Whether you think that you can, or that you can’t, you are usually right”
Lack of self awareness and self-belief keeps us paralysed, as can persistent negative thinking and chatter that goes on in our minds – but the good news is that there are many simple activities that can help to build an empowering positive mindset.
Being able to set your intentions an follow through with the actions are crucial steps in creating the life you want. Here we will help you identify your priorities and create a action plan along with milestones for you to easily achieve your goals.
No matter what you are working on in your life, self development, career etc, we need strategies and tools to help us achieve what we want especially when old habits raise their ugly head. This is exactly what you get here to help you create momentum of achieving whatever change you have set out to achieve..
How does a coach know what I should do with my life?
We don’t, but we do know how to help you do your best thinking, make better decisions and create change. As coaches, we have a various tools and techniques that help with positive thinking, confidence, self-belief and effective communication.
How can I get started on my coaching journey?
It’s really easy to get started on a process that could transform many aspects of your life.
Simply click here Coaching Consultation to book a 40-minute call with me – there’s absolutely no pressure, just a conversation to help you decide if what I offer feels right for you.